You can’t get rid of self-loathing if
"I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."
i was at my boyfriend’s tonight, and as i was leaving i commented on how nice and peaceful it is where he lives. he is in an apartment building right near campus grounds, which are completely isolated by trees, so not a lot goes on there. you can walk outside at night and all you’ll hear are your own footsteps.
but here, right now. i live right by a factory where they pound their huge hammers throughout the night. there are tons of police sirens, almost constantly. then the coyotes joined the sirens and all started yelping at once. then a train (whose tracks are right by that factory) started going through. then my drunk neighbors were yelling. still sirens. motorcycles. airplanes.
always, at any given point if i focus enough, i can hear police sirens, train whistles, cars with bad mufflers, or airplanes warming up. sometimes all at once. it’s weird how someone can get so used to all those noises that even with all that it feels like silence.
then you get out into the rural areas where there is real silence. and it is deafening.
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists."
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.